Poulton-le-Fylde Methodist Church is celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the church at its present site in 2015
The previous Chapel was built in 1819 in Chapel Street.
In January 1965 the move was made to the modern building on Queensway.
There are to be a number of events during the year, including a Flower Festival in June – details here.
Thornton–Cleveleys Flower Arrangement Club, will arrange the flowers and these will represent each of the groups in the church, for example the choir, the Sunday School etc.
More About Poulton Methodist Church
In the late 18th Century two lay preachers visited and preached in the town around the time of John Wesley’s death in 1791. A small Methodist Society began to meet in a room at the rear of the Kings Arms, now the Royal Bank of Scotland.
The first chapel was built in Back Street, now Chapel Street, in 1819. About 40 years later a larger chapel was built, followed, in the late 1880’s, by another. A plaque at the corner of Chapel Street and Queens Square records the site of this chapel. A few members of our current church worshipped in this chapel.
The new church was built on Queensway when the old chapel was no longer big enough. The architect who designed it was inspired by Poulton’s maritime connections; some of its features reflected this – a prow shaped pulpit, copper lanterns and black wood window frames which were a reminder of the timber frames of the old trading ships.
In 2004 the church embarked on a renewal scheme which included essential repairs with the aim of creating a flexible and comfortable church more suitable for modern worship. The coffee shop was later included in the plans and work was completed in late 2008.
The new church is a moder, light and spacious place of worship, and the centre-piece is a wall hanging created by Juliet Hemingray which is full of meaning.